Two years after Audi launched its first electric-powered automobiles, it has unveiled the flagship of the e-tron household within the type of the 2022 e-tron GT and RS e-tron GT. Audi says the automobiles might be out there within the US market this summer time.
The corporate provides that whereas the brand new flagship fashions be part of the e-tron and e-tron Sportback within the electrified lineup, a fifth EV, the This fall e-tron, will additional increase the mannequin vary “within the coming yr.”
Pricing has been set at $99,900 for the e-tron GT quattro Premium Plus, at $107,100 for the e-tron GT quattro Status, and at $139,900 for the RS e-tron GT, the primary EV supplied within the US from Audi Sport. Audi provides that “it’s anticipated” that the automobiles qualify for as much as $7,500 in federal tax incentives within the US.
So what do consumers get for these costs?
“Within the course of of making the most recent flagship within the e-tron household, no element was too small, from design and manufacturing to accountable supplies used and even the distinctive acceleration sound that audio engineers created particularly for the electrical efficiency car,” Audi notes.
“Wanting each bit an idea automobile dropped at actuality, the 2022 Audi e-tron GT is a dynamic murals. Lengthy, low, extensive and exhilarating, it’s a grand turismo that additional expands Audi’s outstanding function in electrical mobility,” Audi says.
“Its classically stunning design proportions are accentuated by massive wheels, a large observe and lengthy wheelbase – decrease and wider than the Audi A7 whereas sustaining roughly the identical size.
“Aesthetics come up from effectivity; an inverted Singleframe grille reinterprets honeycomb design components, distinctive quattro blisters above every wheel, and a flat greenhouse with sloping roofline outline e-tron GT design. Coupled with radiator and brake duct air inlets that may shut when not wanted to optimize aerodynamics, drag coefficient is a low 0.24, serving to the e-tron GT transfer with effectivity in complement with its velocity.
“Different design highlights:
- U.S. fashions will come to market with normal 20-inch 5-double-spoke alloy wheels with grey accents; automobiles outfitted with the efficiency bundle have 20-inch 5-double-spoke alloy wheels with black accents; the RS e-tron GT comes with normal 20-inch 5-spoke AERO wheels or out there 21-inch wheels,
- Commonplace for RS e-tron GT fashions is a light-weight, high-strength, five-layer carbon fiber strengthened plastic roof – a primary for an Audi car and a segment-exclusive function.
- Accessible HD Matrix-design headlights with Audi laser mild for larger high-beam visibility.
- Strongly chiseled decrease doorsill traces that emphasizes the battery pack because the automobile’s powerhouse and basis.
- Inside, normal is a leather-free inside that includes recycled supplies; Dinamica and Alcantara come normal; Nappa leather-based is offered.
- The “monoposto” cockpit angles the 12.3-inch Audi digital cockpit and 10.1-inch MMI contact response shows towards the driving force.
- Commonplace is a full-circumference, flat-bottom steering wheel, wrapped in Alcantara; a perforated, leather-wrapped steering wheel and capacitive hands-on detection can be found.
The e-tron GT powers the entrance wheels with a 235 horsepower electrical motor and the rear wheels with a 429 motor. Audi says the “internet mixed output” is 469 horsepower, or as much as 522 “with overboost for two.5 seconds with launch management” propelling the automobile to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds.
The RS e-tron GT has the identical entrance motor, however a 450 horsepower rear motor. The online is 590 and as much as 637 with overboost offering 0-60 mph acceleration in 3.1 seconds.
“That locations the acceleration of RS e-tron GT on par with the V10-powered Audi R8 supercar – all whereas producing zero direct emissions,” Audi provides. The brand new GT and RS are constructed on the similar Böllinger Höfe meeting plant because the R8, and Audi notes that the plant attracts its energy from an influence plant fueled by biogas.
The RS e-tron GT additionally comes with air suspension, all-wheel steering, and two-speed transmission.
Audi expects a variety of 238 miles for the e-tron GT and 232 miles for the RS, and with normal fast-chargers that take the batteries from 5 p.c to 80 p.c in lower than 23 minutes.
For extra info, go to the AudiUSA web site.
A former every day newspaper sports activities editor, Larry Edsall spent a dozen years as an editor at AutoWeek journal earlier than making the transition to writing for the online and changing into the writer of greater than 15 automotive books. Along with being founding editor at ClassicCars.com, Larry has written for The New York Occasions and The Detroit Information and was an adjunct honors professor on the Walter Cronkite College of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State College.