Marc UrbanoAutomobile and Driver
First, let’s make one thing clear: Quickest refers to acceleration, and quickest refers to prime velocity. And, good lord, has it been a pleasant decade for Automobile and Driver‘s acceleration testing. We recorded the quickest zero-to-60-mph production-car time in Automobile and Driver historical past. We rocketed a $243,000 SUV to 60 mph in nearly 3 seconds flat. And, to align with the trade customary, we shifted our acceleration testing to incorporate a one-foot rollout.
To rejoice a decade properly spent, we have compiled an inventory of the quickest automobiles we examined from 2010 to 2022.
Quickest Pickup: 2021 Ram TRX: 3.7 seconds
Quickest SUV: 2019 Lamborghini Urus: 3.1 seconds
2021 Porsche Panamera Turbo S: 2.6 seconds
Essentially the most normal-looking automobile automobile on this, the 620-hp Porsche Panamera Turbo S we examined weighed in at 4702 kilos and ripped to 60 mph in solely 2.6 seconds. There is not any chassis-mounted wing, no center-locking wheels, and it has 47 cubic ft of cargo area with the rear seats down. That standard sufficient for you? The posh hatchback measured 1.07 g of grip across the skidpad, matching the brand new 911 Turbo S Cabriolet in lateral grip. The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s are an apparent efficiency enhancer right here, however give credit score the place credit due. Particularly when one thing this massive flies handed the quarter-mile marker in 10.8 seconds at 127 mph.
- Examined date: June 2021
- Worth as examined: $199,480 (base value: $179,050)
- Engine: 620-hp 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8, eight-speed dual-clutch computerized transmission
- Weight: 4702 lb
MORE PANAMERA TURBO SPECS
2021 Mercedes-AMG GT63 S: 2.6 seconds
A rear-biassed all-wheel-drive system will get the 630-hp Mercedes-AMG GT63 S to 60 mph in simply 2.6 seconds. Our check automobile wore Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and in contrast to many at this stage of efficiency, makes use of a standard nine-speed computerized over a dual-clutch transmission. The GT63 S did a quarter-mile in 10.7 seconds at 129 mph.
- Worth as examined: $199,910 (Base value: $162,950)
- Powertrain: 630-hp twin-turbo 4.0-liter V-8, nine-speed computerized transmission
- Weight: 4620 lb
MORE GT63 SPECS
2022 BMW M5 CS: 2.6 seconds
The BMW M5 CS is a littler heavier than the final M5 Competitors we examined, however it additionally has a little bit extra horsepower. They each get to 60 mph in 2.6 seconds, however the M5 CS will get to the quarter-mile mark 0.3 second faster.
- Worth as examined: $148,995 (Base value: $143,995)
- Powertrain: 627-hp twin-turbo 4.4-liter V-8, eight-speed computerized transmission
- Weight: 4096
MORE M5 SPECS
2021 Lamborghini Huracán STO: 2.6 seconds
Superhero appears to be like, and a 631-hp V-10? The Lamborghini Huracán STO is a particular trim, and, as for those who could not inform by the wing, it affords a complimentary nod to the GT3 race automobile. All of its aero contributes to the automobile’s 926 kilos of downforce at 174 mph.
- Worth as examined: $453,396 (Base value: $333,633)
- Powertrain: 631-hp 5.2-liter V-10, seven-speed dual-clutch computerized transmission
- Weight: 3351 lb
MORE HURACAN SPECS
2019 McLaren 720S Coupe: 2.6 seconds
We used launch management to realize the vast majority of these zero-to-60-mph instances. The McLaren 720S’s launch button is intertwined with the radio, local weather, and navigation controls. With each pedals squeezed, the digital tachometer sits at round 3200 rpm for 4 full seconds earlier than “Increase Prepared” flashes on the digital instrument cluster. Sixty miles per hour arrives 2.6 seconds after takeoff.
- Examined date: February 2018
- Worth as examined: $378,215 (base value: $288,845)
- Engine: 710-hp 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8, seven-speed dual-clutch computerized transmission
- Weight: 3161 lb
MORE 720S SPECS
2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS: 2.5 seconds
This 700-hp Porsche 911 GT2 RS is not solely fast to 60 mph, it takes simply 5.5 seconds to hit 100 mph and blasts by way of the quarter-mile in 10.2 seconds at 140 mph. Its twin-turbocharged flat-six engine and racing-derived aerodynamics make it a beast on the observe, too, the place it as soon as held the all-time quickest lap at our annual Lightning Lap competitors at Virginia Worldwide Raceway. It additionally held the production-car lap file on the Nürburgring.
- Examined date: June 2018
- Worth as examined: $348,730 (base value: $294,250)
- Engine: 700-hp 3.8-liter twin-turbo flat-six, seven-speed dual-clutch computerized transmission
- Weight: 3376 lb
MORE 911 GT2 RS SPECS
2020 BMW M8 Competitors: 2.5 seconds
The BMW M8 is disguised as a large four-seater coupe, however get behind the wheel of this 617-hp twin-turbocharged V-8 for a loud reminder that appears will be deceiving. It is snappy eight-speed computerized transmission and all-wheel-drive system mimic NASA launches, and even when blasting to a quarter-mile, the M8 manages to do it in 10.7 seconds at 129 mph. The Pirelli P Zero PZ4 tires present loads of grip and stored the M8 clung to the skidpad at 1.03 g.
- Examined date: July 2020
- Worth as examined: $175,745 (base value: $147,995)
- Engine: 617-hp twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V-8, eight-speed computerized transmission
- Weight: 4251 lb
MORE M8 SPECS
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S: 2.4 seconds
The Porsche Taycan Turbo S is a high-performance battery-powered sedan with out the autonomous nannies discovered on the Tesla Mannequin S. Each EVs are fast, in actual fact its 50 to 70 mph acceleration time matched the Mannequin S Efficiency with 1.6 seconds—the 2 quickest recorded instances ever. Two permanent-magnet synchronous AC motors with a mixed output of 750-hp and 774 lb-ft are answerable for the velocity.
- Examined date: February 2020
- Worth as examined: $205,180 (base value: $186,350)
- Motor: 2 permanent-magnet synchronous AC motors, 255 and 449 hp, 325 and 450 lb-ft; mixed output, 750 hp, 774 lb-ft; single-speed direct drive (entrance), two-speed computerized (rear) transmission
- Weight: 5246 lb
MORE TAYCAN SPECS
2020 Tesla Mannequin S Efficiency: 2.4 seconds
The Tesla Mannequin S Efficiency does all of it. A 98.0 kWh battery pack offers it an EPA vary of 326 miles on a single cost, it could possibly lane change whereas in auto pilot with the blink of a– properly, blinker, and there is even a fart button. Extra importantly, it is fast too, extra so with Cheetah mode enabled. We have been capable of go a tenth faster to 60 mph than we had prior, as Cheetah mode boosts energy output and crouches the automobile’s stance on launch. The Mannequin S Efficiency is powered by motors at every axle that usually produces a mixed output of 778-hp with a neck-breaking 841 lb-ft of torque.
- Examined date: February 2020
- Worth as examined: $114,690 (base value: $101,190)
- Motor: permanent-magnet synchronous AC entrance motor, AC induction rear motor, 275 and 503 hp, 310 and 531 lb-ft; mixed output, 778 hp, 841 lb-ft; single-speed direct drive (entrance), single-speed direct drive (rear) transmission
- Weight: 5003 lb
MORE MODEL S SPECS
2021 Bugatti Chiron Sport: 2.4 seconds
The $3.7-million Bugatti Chiron Sport is the most costly automobile on the checklist, however it’s slower to 60 mph than three different automobiles on this checklist. However—and this is a crucial however—it’s the quickest automobile to succeed in a quarter-mile that we have ever examined. It did that in 9.4 seconds at a wild 158 mph. With launch management enabled, the revs stick at 2500 rpm, however even that removed from redline the engine is already making as much as 562 horsepower. After blast off, the Chiron averages greater than 1.00 g longitudinally all the way in which to 70 mph. And 100 to 160 mph is over in 5.2 seconds. The Chiron will get from 100 to 200 mph in 11.3-seconds—faster than the Honda Civic Kind R will get to 100 mph.
- Examined date: December 2020
- Worth as examined: $3,710,850 (base value: $3,273,000)
- Engine: 1479-hp 8.0-liter quad-turbocharged W-16 engine, seven-speed dual-clutch transmission
- Weight: 4544 lb
MORE CHIRON INFO
2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet: 2.3 seconds
Although not the quickest member of the 992-generation on the checklist, this German convertible packs the identical 640-hp twin-turbo flat-six as its coupe counterpart, and does so with a claimed 205-mph prime velocity. Now that Porsche 911 Turbo fashions use an eight-speed dual-clutch computerized, the close-spaced shifts imply extra time transferring and fewer time ready. Our check automobile wore Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport tires and achieved a powerful 1.07 g of grip across the skidpad. Once more, not the best mark for a 992, however nonetheless value noting. Utilizing launch management, we hauled the 911 Turbo S Cabriolet to 60 mph in simply 2.3 seconds. We reached 100 mph in 5.4 seconds and crossed the quarter-mile in 10.2 at 136 mph.
- Examined date: June 2021
- Worth as examined: $234,570 (base value: $218,650)
- Engine: 640-hp 3.7-liter twin-turbocharged flat-six, eight-speed dual-clutch transmission
- Weight: 3826 lb
MORE 911 TURBO S SPECS
2018 Lamborghini Huracán Performante — 2.2 seconds
A 631-hp V-10 engine, all-wheel drive, and sticky Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R tires makes the Huracán Performante the second-fastest automobile now we have ever examined. It went from zero to 60 mph in 2.2 seconds. The V-10 engine sounds quick, too, offering a 100-decibel naturally aspirated symphony at wide-open throttle, one of many loudest figures we recorded this decade.
- Examined date: October 2017
- Worth as examined: $317,285 (base value: $279,185)
- Engine: 631-hp 5.2-liter V-10, seven-speed dual-clutch computerized transmission
- Weight: 3429 lb
MORE HURACAN SPECS
2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S— 2.2 seconds
The Porsche 911 Turbo S is considerably of a efficiency cut price contemplating the quickest automobile we’ve ever examined prices 4 instances as a lot, however is barely faster by a tenth of a second. The key to the 911 Turbo S and its astonishing acceleration is its superior all-wheel-drive system. It will possibly ship as much as 368 of its 590 lb-ft of torque to the entrance wheels, which helped it attain 30 mph in 0.9 second. The 640-hp 3.7-liter twin-turbo flat-six helps, too. That is 60 horsepower greater than common 911 Turbo fashions. For grip, our check automobile used 4 Pirelli P Zero PZ4 tires, with 255/35ZR-20 up entrance and 315/30ZR-21 within the rear. A 2.2-second zero-to-60 mph run is frightening quick from a manufacturing automobile, and its 10.1-second quarter-mile time is even nuttier. Shoot, even the 572-hp 911 Turbo we have examined bought to 60 mph in 2.4 seconds. Nevertheless, the Turbo S can attain 137 mph faster than you possibly can spell Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen.
- Examined date: October 2020
- Base value: $204,850
- Engine: 640-hp 3.7-liter twin-turbo flat-six, eight-speed dual-clutch computerized transmission
- Weight: 3646 lb
MORE 911 TURBO SPECS
2015 Porsche 918 Spyder — 2.1 seconds
We examined the quickest automobile of the last decade in Could 2014. The hybrid, all-wheel-drive Porsche 918 Spyder has two electrical motors with a mixed 285 horsepower paired with a 608-hp 4.6-liter V-8. By routing torque—as a lot as 830 lb-ft—to all 4 wheels, the 918 maximizes traction and blasts to 60 mph in an unbelievably fast 2.1 seconds.
- Examined date: Could 2014
- Worth as examined: $875,175 (base value: $847,975)
- Engine: 887-hp 4.6-liter V-8 with 2 AC motors, seven-speed dual-clutch computerized
- Weight: 3724 lb
MORE 918 SPYDER SPECS
2021 Tesla Mannequin S Plaid: 2.1 seconds
It is a signal of the instances when the 2 quickest automobiles we have ever examined do not rely solely on a fuel engine. The Mannequin S Plaid ripped to 60 mph in 2.1 seconds and hit the quarter-mile in 9.4, or simply as shortly because the $3.7 million Bugatti Chiron Sport. (Although the Chiron’s 158 mph on the quarter beat the Tesla’s 151 mph.)
- Examined date: December 2021
- Worth as examined: $137,440 (Base value: $131,440)
- Powertrain: 3 permanent-magnet synchronous AC; mixed output: 1020 horsepower, entrance/rear direct-drive transmissions
- Weight: 4828 lb
MORE MODEL S SPECS
2021 Ferrari SF90 Stradale — 2.0 seconds
We have examined over 1000 automobiles in that final seven years and none had been capable of dethrone Porsche’s 893-hp 918 Spyder. Till now. After a 3500-rpm launch to 60 mph within the Ferrari SF90 Stradale, with the transmission set to handbook, we have got a brand new chief. The SF90 Stradale makes 986 horsepower from a plug-in hybrid powertrain that includes two 113-hp motors on the entrance axle, a 769-hp twin-turbo V-8 behind the seats, and 201-hp electrical motor stuffed between that and the eight-speed dual-clutch computerized gearbox. The SF90 Stradale begins at $511,250. The one we examined on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway had $193,697 in choices—together with the light-weight Assetto Fiorano package deal—operating its value as much as $704,929. You must pay the price to be the boss.
- Examined date: July 2021
- Worth as examined: $704,92 (base value: $511,250)
- Engine: 769-hp 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8 with two 133-hp AC motors and one 201-hp AC motor; mixed output, 986 hp, eight-speed dual-clutch computerized transmission
- Weight: 3840 lb
MORE SF90 STRADALE INFO
The ten Quickest (and three Slowest) New Vehicles We Examined in 2021
This content material is created and maintained by a 3rd get together, and imported onto this web page to assist customers present their e mail addresses. You might be able to discover extra details about this and comparable content material at piano.io